The school began as a day school within the Technical College established in Ultimo in 1909. Initially there were around 96 boys and 11 girls. Turner, responsible for the Technical College and technical education in New South Wales generally, applied for the day school to become a High School.
Sydney Technical High School was fully established in 1911, and a prospectus was printed outlining the aims and curriculum of the school, they included practical instruction in laboratories and workshops for boys and domestic science and dressmaking for girls. Entrance to the school required Class 1V Public School Standard, and the paying in advance of a guinea a term. Students even then came from all over Sydney and from the country. The day started at 9.30 am and concluded at 4pm.
The first Headmaster was J A Williams, BA and he led the school for its first 15 years. He was a man of vision and an educator of some note, writing in the treatise he was required to submit for promotion ‘Every individual has the right to realise himself: that is to fully develop the power and capacities, physical, mental moral and spiritual: with which nature endowed him’.